Thursday, February 5, 2009

Great Boxer Joe Calzaghe Retired from Boxing

Boxing legend Joe Calzaghe has decided to hang on his gloves as the Welshman decided to quit from boxing ring today (5 February 2009). The 36-year-old boxer has finished his professional career undefeated with a career record of 46 wins including 32 knockouts without losing any fight. Joe Calzaghe is the reigning Ring Magazine light heavyweight champion, and he formerly held WBO, WBA, WBC, IBF, The Ring Magazine titles at super middleweight division. Holding WBO super middleweight title for over 10 years, Calzaghe made a record for the longest reigning world champion in professional boxing.

Joe Calzaghe admitted that it was not easy decision to retire from boxing, but he felt that he had nothing left to achieve in boxing. That is why, he decided to retire from ring.

Times Online reported:

“It was a difficult decision but I have achieved everything I wanted to achieve in boxing,” he said. “I’ve been world champion for 11 years. I’ve got no other goals to go for. That’s why I am calling it a day.

"My decision is to retire. I’ve been boxing for 25 years and, like I said, I’ve achieved everything I want to achieve,” he said. “You can never say never in this game, but I can’t see myself boxing again. There’s loads of things I want to do. I’m proud to be one of only a few fighters in history to retire undefeated.”

Joe Calzaghe’s last fight came November last year in Madison Square Garden where he outclassed American boxer Roy Jones Jr. comfortably. The ease with which he won the fight, it is obvious that he could continue his career for couple of years more.

1 comment:

Make-Up-and-Cosmetic-Girl said...

I know this was ages ago now but joe calzaghe was an absolute legend. He's still my favourite on Fight Night Round 4